Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


Q. Can a member of a police services board make a complaint against their own police service?
A. No. People who are responsible for the police service, such a member or employee of that service's police services board cannot file a complaint against their police service, but can file a complaint against a member of another police service.
Q. What happens to complaints about OPP policies or services?
A. The OIPRD refers public complaints made regarding the policies or services of an OPP detachment that is providing policing services to a municipality to OPP headquarters in Orillia. The OPP headquarters is responsible for ensuring that the complaint is directed to the appropriate decision-maker within the OPP.
Q. What can people complain about in regard to the conduct of chiefs and deputy chiefs?
A. The chief and deputy chief are required to follow the same standards as any other officer:
  • to act with honesty and integrity
  • to treat people with respect
  • not to abuse the extraordinary powers and authority police officers are granted
  • to act in a manner that does not discredit or undermine public confidence in the police service 
Q. What happens to conduct complaints about the OPP Commissioner or the OPP deputy commissioner?
A. The OIPRD receives complaints about the OPP Commissioner and deputy commissioners but must forward them to the Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services. The OIPRD has no further role in these matters.
Q. Where can police services boards get the OIPRD Rules of Procedure?
A. OIPRD Rules of Procedure are available online, or by contacting the OIPRD.
Q. Where can police services boards obtain OIPRD forms?
A. Forms are available by contacting your police service or the OIPRD.
Q. How can police services boards find out more about their responsibilities in the complaint process?
A. The responsibilities of the police services boards are set out in the Police Services Act.