Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

withdraw your complaint

If you have filed a complaint with the OIPRD but no longer wish to continue with it, you may withdraw it, as long as a hearing has not begun.

To withdraw a complaint prior to a hearing, you must give written notice to the OIPRD using the complaint withdrawal form. When the OIPRD receives this notification to withdraw, the OIPRD will accept the withdrawal and notify the concerned chief of police, or police services board or the Solicitor General as the Police Services Act requires.

The police service in question has the authority to continue with an internal investigation, but the complainant would not be entitled to receive any information regarding the status or outcome of that investigation.

If you seek to withdraw a complaint after a hearing regarding the complaint has begun, you will need consent to withdraw from:
  • the OIPRD and
  • the chief of police, in the case of a complaint about the conduct of a police officer other than the chief of police or a deputy chief, or
  • the police services board, in the case of a complaint about the conduct of a municipal chief of police or municipal deputy chief of police

The OIPRD will determine whether consent to the request to withdraw will be given.

The OIPRD will advise the chief of police or the police services board of its decision. Use this withdrawal form if you have made a complaint but no longer wish to continue with it. Please have your complaint number available when you fill in this form.